Sunday 24 January 2016

Forget Perfection

If you are anything like me, that is very difficult to do. And the problem with this is that it makes it very difficult to actually start something. I mean, what's the point of starting something, if I'm only going to get it wrong and everyone will judge it and know I'm a failure, and, and – well, you get the picture.

So, today a friend was on Facebook, and I commented on a post he had made. I followed this up with a note through Messenger. One thing led to another, and I ended up sending him a picture of a quilt top I had made. The quilt was intended for his son, but it was so busy, and so bright that I figured he would hate it. Plus I made a booboo in the quilt.

Well, as a result, he has told me that he has plans to come and pick it up from me. I told him I would have to go and buy backing and finish it. So – guess what. Off we went to the quilt shop where I bought suitable backing, and some extra fabric for the binding (in case I don't have enough on hand). Next, I'll have to clear off my quilting frame, and start practising like crazy. I know exactly how I want to quilt this, and it's going to take some work.

But. Despite the booboo – and how busy it is – he likes the quilt! I showed it to the owner at the quilt store, and she told me it's great! (She also commented on the small kennel quilt I had made, saying that all the corners meet and it's crazy. Did I mention it's made from 2” squares?)

The bottom line is – I need to remember that perfection isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Wonder how long I'll actually remember.

No comments: