Wednesday 21 August 2013

A couple of finishes

Several years ago, I was at the Creativ Festival with a friend. She picked up some, um, interesting yarn at the Mary Maxim booth, and asked me if I could do anything with it. Silly me - I said, "I can crochet anything." Well, that was a mistake.

This was eyelash yarn - with no give whatsoever. I tried making a six-sided throw, but that required me to put stitches into stitches. And I couldn't find/see the stitches. So the project sat in a bag for a long time.

After my cancer surgery, I knew that I would have some time on my hands during recovery. And I kept seeing that bag in my sewing studio (we'll call it that for now) with the unfinished project. I decided that, come hell or high water, I was going to finish it. But what to do when I couldn't make out the individual stitches? It dawned on me that I had to make something where I was putting stitches into spaces. Aha! A big granny square.

Unraveling my previous work was almost as much fun as trying to crochet with the yarn in the first place, but I managed. And I crocheted a big granny square.

This week, I also finished my radiation treatments (to reduce the likelihood of the cancer recurring). So we took my friend out to celebrate, and I gave her the completed throw.




It's not a masterpiece, but as they say, done is better than perfect!

Happy crafting!

1 comment:

Shay said...

Congratulations on finishing your treatment. I bet you're feeling on top of the world.

Yep - sometimes finished is much better than perfect!(although I think your project looks alright !)